Choosing to buy a new home can be an exciting endeavor. But before you sign and back the moving truck in, consider these thoughts and factors for a smooth purchase without any negative surprises.
Why it’s a great idea to buy a new home
- The smell and feel of a new home is invigorating.
- A new home is a blank canvas. You can often customize during the construction process.
- New homes are built to stricter building codes versus older homes.
- New homes are generally more energy efficient and offer cheaper monthly bills than a similarly sized home built in the past.
- New homes require less maintenance.
What to what out for when buying a new home
- Read the fine print. Like all documents in which you place you John Hancock, read the builders contract over. All of it.
- DO NOT close on your new home unless all repairs and discrepancies have been remedied.
- Get everything in writing. If you want it, get it in writing.
- Be aware of what is actually included in the purchase price, and what is an extra upgrade.
- Ask the builder if there are any incentives they are offering.
- Before choosing to use the builder attractive financing options, sometimes it is not the best option over time.
- Be sure to have your new home inspected by a certified inspector during and after construction.